The Liebster Award 2017 is usually given to bloggers by other bloggers to help them get more exposure and to my surprise, I was nominated for one. The nomination came from Onyinyechi of Onyixtus.com – a blog about love, life and law. I am quite pleased because I have read a couple of interesting blog posts for the award and never really thought I’d one day be writing one. Actually, as far as the rules go, being nominated for a Liebster Award is essentially the same thing and winning the award.
Here are some general rules of the Liebster Award 2017:
- Write a blog post about your nomination, thanking the person who nominated you and include a link to their blog in your post.
- List the rules and regulations in your blog post.
- Display the award on your blog within the blog post and/or in the side bar
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 5-11 bloggers and ask them 11 questions as well.
- List the rules in your post.
- Inform the bloggers they’ve been nominated and provide a link to the post about your award.
Here are 11 random facts about me:
- I love closeness but I also love my space – I’m not a loner but I always need moments when I can spend time with myself to rest, refresh and rejuvenate. I use this opportunity to look inward and do the inner work required for me to be fully present and give my best when I am in the presence of others. Occasionally, I might bring someone very special along but even then, I will still need some alone time outside of that.
- I have a lived experience of mental illness – Going through this has redefined the way I view people and as a public speaker, I offer Style and Expression workshops across the city in collaboration with the Canadian Mental Health Association, using fashion as a vehicle to get women on a path to recovery. I’m so over the stigma though. Most historical geniuses had a history of mental illness, it comes with the territory of being a whiz kid. Check it out. Abraham Lincoln? – depression… and let’s not even talk about the great Charles Darwin.
- March 2003 – My mother died at the cusp of my womanhood. Obviously, I miss her but it’s been what? 14 years at least. Seriously, I’ve quit playing victim on this one. Life goes on and there’s no point sulking about it.
- I love African fashion – I bet this is already pretty obvious if you’ve been reading this blog long enough.
- I’m a bona fide teaholic – I literally go through no less than at least two cups of tea a day.
- My favourite Netflix shows right now are Suits and Downton Abbey.
- I am the fourth and only female child in my family after three elder brothers.
- Two things I want to do before I die are 1. learn how to play the guitar and 2. learn to speak French fluently
- I live with three females from the Philippines and together we make a charming townhouse in Kitchener our home.
- I come from a tourist city called Jos that sits on a plateau in the North-central region of Nigeria (also known as the middle-belt) known for its beautiful cold weather and amazing rock formations.
- I speak Hausa language fluently… well, maybe it has gotten a bit weak for lack of practice but I think its still there.
Here are 11 answers to the questions Onyinyechi asked me:
- If you were to have lunch with a famous person, who would it be and why? – I’d probably ask Diane Von Furstenberg out to lunch. Besides picking her brain about digital marketing in fashion, I really want to know what she was thinking when she invented the wrap dress.
- What is your comfort food? – When I think of comfort food, winter comes to my mind for some reason so I’m going to go with a warming and soothing hot bowl of soup. Cream of potato to be precise.
- Name 3 of your favourite childhood games that you’ll teach your children. – None. Society is evolving at a much faster rate than kids are able to mature. I will rather equip them to make wise choices and let them choose their preferences.
- What is your pet peeve? – I hate passive aggressive behaviour. Like, seriously stop acting up because high school is over. I believe that everyone should have a very healthy means of expressing anger and conducting themselves even in difficult situations that are hard to navigate.
- How much do I have to pay you to jaywalk? – It depends. Are we talking about jaywalking the traffic in Nigeria or Canada? Each region would yield a different answer.
- Who was the last person you told “I love you?” – lol, I know where this is going but I’m going to say my dad. I love my father.
- What is the first thing you do as soon as you wake up? – I want to say I pray but damn the digital age! The answer is “I look at my phone.” After that, I move on to other obvious things.
- How would you describe the colour “red” to a blind person? – Something hot and fiery, often angry and sometimes dangerous.
- Who’d you rather – Donald Trump or Adolf Hitler? – Donald Trump because he humours me. Hitler was a tyrant.
- What is your first reaction when upset? – My reaction is usually to express myself in a firm, non-confrontational tone and then withdraw into a shell or cave where I can calm down and heal the impact of any upset.
- Describe yourself in one word? – Passionate… I’d like to think that I bring passion to everything I do and that’s the only way to live.
P.S. – I will be back to update this post with the 5 new bloggers I am nominating to receive this Liebster award next so stay tuned. I have to do some research first as most of the blogs I’ve been reading have been around for a fair amount of time.
Before then, I would love to hear from you. What did you think about this blog post and my answers?